Are you struggling with your synthesis essay assignments with no end in sight? Are you looking for ways of upping your game in this genre of assignment? If you are, then this post will present you with everything you need to achieve it. You will learn more about how to write this type of essay, get sample topics that will fire you up, and get an accurate definition to help you understand what this essay form is. Additionally, our team of writers is on standby to assist you should you face any hurdle along the way such as choking deadlines.
What is a synthesis essay?
Your essay’s success hangs on how well you understand it through a clear synthesis essay definition. Therefore, this section of our guide will answer the big question what is a synthesis essay? Briefly, a synthesis essay is a form of assignment that assists readers to grasp given topics. Here, you help the reader to understand a topic by dissecting and dividing it into smaller parts and presenting them to the reader in an orderly way. Essentially, you will be recreating the words and infusing them with a fresh meaning that presents your audience with plain facts.
How to write a synthesis essay: Tips to inspire you
Who said writing a great synthesis essay is difficult? With the right raw materials and direction, you don’t need to struggle with this type of assignment. So, this section shares out tips that will help to melt the ice and make things easier for you.
- Use credible sources
Since you are not writing a narrative description of how you spent your winter, you need to back all your claims with reliable sources. By backing your ideas with a source, you help your readers to see a sense of credibility and authority in your assignment.
- Mind your language and tone
To make your paper more cogent, use the right tone and language. It is necessary to use appropriate language that your readers can understand. Also, use a language they can relate to easily and deem to be respectable. If you don’t want to go wrong with your language, use formal language in its entirety.
- Use proper dialogue
When drafting your paper, you have to take dialogue to a higher level. It is needful to create a dialogue between your thoughts and the sources you used to draft the paper. You ought to formulate the connection between the two to allow your readers to have a smooth flow of ideas.
- Understand your readers
Even though it is necessary to write for good grades, you also need to give the reader their rightful place in the essay. The reason is that you will not mark your paper, but the reader will. Therefore, your goal of getting flying grades depends on how well the reader will flow with it. If your tutors have difficult time understanding your thoughts and ideas, it is less likely they will give you the good marks you want. So, have them in mind and they will also have you in their mind—favorably. This tip will require you to factor in components such as clarity, brevity, ease of flow, cohesion, and respectful language. By spicing your paper with these ingredients, you will succeed in your synthesis.
Structure of synthesis essay
The structure of synthesis essay is a critical part of your paper. In this portion, we shall show you the structure you need to give your paper to make it more cogent. Below is the form your synthesis essay needs to take.
Your paper’s introduction should orient your reader into what you have in store for them. This intro needs to show your audience your position on the subject matter at hand. Also, it needs to hook your readers by grabbing their attention and interest to read your assignment. You should also introduce your main points here and use the as raw material for your conclusion. It is also prudent to cite the main opposing view and debunk it here, if you will not do it in the body of your paper.
The body paragraphs are where you spill all the beans. In this section, you join all the dots of arguments you had introduced your readers to and give them the real substance. Here, you add ligaments and tendons to the skeleton to allow the reader to come to terms with the full meaning of your intro. In addition, you need to back your body with credible proofs by citing reliable and sufficient sources. When using and citing your sources, you don’t need to summarize them. Instead, you have to give your personal analysis of these sources and connect them back to your arguments. Your paper’s paragraphs will include your: primary mini argument, sources and proofs, and analysis of your sources.
Your paper’s concluding section will restate your final claim and importance of your topic. It may also include a recommendation or policies that are pertinent to the argument you have been handling. It should also wrap up all your main ideas to show the reader that they didn’t waste their time reading your writings.
How to start a synthesis essay
How to start a synthesis essay
Succeeding in your synthesis essay assignment requires you to master how to start a synthesis essay. The reason is that the beginning of your paper is critical to setting the pace ready for what you have set ahead of them. Below are strategies that will enable you to succeed in this part of your writing process.
- Your initial paragraph should explain the context of your paper. This way, you will provide a background and justification for selecting your topic and engaging in the writing.
- Also, your starting point has to point to your chosen approach as you draft your paper. It has to provide your readers with a rough idea of what they should expect through your stand on the topic.
- Lastly, you ought to draft it to raise necessary questions in the minds of the readers. These questions should provoke them to want to get answers in the remaining sections of your assignment.
How to write a conclusion for a synthesis essay
Your paper’s conclusion is a critical stage in shepherding your readers to a safe landing. If you don’t conclude the paper in a cogent and vibrant manner, you will leave your readers hanging with no sense of meaning and value. Therefore, this subsection will share out secrets on how to write a conclusion for a synthesis essay. Here are tips to spice up your conclusions.
- First, you need to conclude the essay by restating your thesis statement. This way, you will give your reader the much-desired sense of meaning and value. When your readers see this, they will appreciate having spent their precious time reading our papers.
- Second, you can end your paper by tilting your synthesis in a different way. However, you have to avoid introducing new ideas into your paper. Only make sure you echo the meaning of what you discussed in the body paragraphs but in a fresh and different way.
- Third, it is necessary to end your paper by showing the reader why your arguments are important. You need to show your reader why your synthesis has brought a new perspective to the topic you handled.
Best topics for synthesis essay
Getting the right topic your essay assignments is one of the most steps in succeeding in your writing process. Therefore, this section of our post explores some of the best synthesis essay topics that will catapult you to the next level of inspiration. Read on to discover more.
Good topics for a synthesis essay
Here are good topics for a synthesis essay to inspire you to the next level of your writing.
- What are the positive effects of the social media on our tertiary education system?
- What are the negative upshots of the social media on the quality of college education?
- Describe the effects of deforestation on food security in the developing world
- Describe how the SMS culture of writing has destroyed the quality of grammar and writing among students
- Write a detailed description of the effects of China’s rising economy on the African continent
Explanatory synthesis essay topics
For your best explanatory synthesis essay topics, this portion of our post shares great samples to inspire you.
- Describe how gender roles are changing in our generation
- Why school uniforms should be banned
- Has the social media made people more social or antisocial?
- Is racism a political or moral problem?
- Why do you think the mobile phone will remain the most popular invention in human history?
From the definition, to sample topics, and to the how-to of writing it, this post has shared everything you need to excel in synthesis essays. We hope your wise application of these insights will elevate your game to the next level.